Real-time Embedded Firmware
What I Do
Immediately after graduating from Rutgers University in 1984 my career as an electrical engineer began. It was at the end of 1998 that I decided to go it alone as an independent consultant and that was the beginning of Embedded Works, the name of my consulting business.
My specialty is real-time embedded firmware and it's been my craft since 1984. Here is a list of areas where I've been applying my skills as an embedded developer:
- Consumer electronics
- Wireless communication
- Scientific laboratory equipment
- Emergency power and lighting
- Medical devices
- Weapons systems
- Bioprocessing peristaltic pump systems
While experience is an important aspect of engineering, what really matters most are the ability to solve problems and the determination and persistence to complete the project with the highest quality. That is what I bring to the table, with expertise and experience.
Conrad A. Pecile
Corporate R&D Manager, Myers Power Products (Direct Manager)“Bob has been providing embedded consultant services over ten years for Myers interfacing our products to customers through a keypad/display, serial interface, or other communication device. He has a broad depth of knowledge in embedded design, pays close attention to detail, and is a great asset to any team.”
January 30, 2012
Principal Scientist/Manager, Rudolph Research Analytical (Colleague), Professional Profile on LinkedIn.com“I have worked with Bob for many years through multiple employers and countless projects. Several projects involved sophisticated algorithms that pushed the limits of the target device. The quality of his work is the highest and his passion and concern for the long-term success of his customers' products is exceptional.”
February 13, 2012
President, Go2Power (Direct Manager), Professional Profile on LinkedIn.com“Bob's background in engineering coupled with his vast experience in embedded programming makes him a valuable asset for any project. He is capable of analyzing what needs to be done and develops a code structure by fragmenting complex compiles into manageable, self contained and re-usable sections. Bob is a code developer not just a programmer - this difference is what makes him such a valuable member of a project. His ethics, abilities and talent are key ingredients for success.”
February 16, 2012
Richard C. Spanier
President/CEO, Rudolph Research Analytical (Colleague, Direct Manager)“I have been working with Bob James as both a colleague and in a consulting capacity for 20 years. In all my experiences, I have found Bob James to be a man of integrity and having a genuine commitment to getting the job done properly.
Bob brings an unusual set of skills to our engineering team, as he has the ability and background to function in an electrical engineering capacity, as well as program various micro processors and design complicated embedded firmware. In addition, Bob is able to work with our GUI programmers by developing the interface protocol linking the firmware code with the customer's GUI experience.
Bob James has proven himself able to be a flexible team player working with our scientists, electrical engineers, product managers and GUI programmers in a cooperative and effective manner.
I believe Bob James can bring value to any engineering group looking to develop sophisticated embedded products.”
February 22, 2012
- Extensive experience in "C" and assembly language firmware for embedded real-time applications.
- Experienced in creating windows applications using Netbeans and Visual Studio/C#.
- Skilled in embedded uC hardware design, troubleshooting, hardware debugging.
- Adept with problem solving, at system level as well as detailed design level.
- Delivered products using AVR32, Motorola 68332, PICmicro MCUs, Intel 8051, 80C196, TI TMS32025, TMS32010, Zilog Z8002, Z80
- Proficient with RTOSs, file systems, development environments, schematic capture, lab equipment.
Antylia Scientific - Vernon Hills, IL
Senior Firmware Engineer
- Responsible for new product development, firmware in "C", hardware design.
- Supervised production of new products.
- Enabled connectivity capabilities for existing pump drives - Cloud monitoring and control using secure MQTT, EtherNet/IP, Profibus.
- Working with companies in the fields of consumer electronics, wireless communication, scientific laboratory equipment, emergency power and lighting, medical devices and weapons systems.
- Responsibilities include embedded firmware development, microcontroller hardware design, creating windows applications, integrating third party products such as RTOSs and file systems.
Rudolph Technologies, Inc. - Flanders, NJ
Chief Firmware Engineer
- Developed low level hardware drivers: UARTs, SPI bus, A/D and D/A converters, I/O.
- Responsible for firmware development in "C" of an automation system.
- Designed modular controller boards using the Motorola MC68332 uC and the Intel 80C196KB uC. The modularity of these designs resulted in fast turn-around of board designs.
- Responsible for technical direction of firmware designers and consultants.
- Designed graphical user interface for a 320x240 graphic LCD display, programmed in "C" and assembly language for the 80C196KB. Included numeric readout, menu options and keypad interface.
GEC-Marconi Electronic Systems Corporation - Wayne, NJ
Senior Firmware Engineer, Radar Navigation
- TMS32025 assembly language modules for inertial measurement systems: writing, testing, and maintaining modules as a design team member.
Intermediate Firmware Engineer, Radar Navigation
- TMS32010 and Z80 assembly language control programs for Doppler velocity/altitude sensors.
- 8751 control program for a cockpit mounted landing system display.
- Z8002 diagnostics program used in a card test set.
- "C" and Pascal data collection and analysis programs.
RCA Corporation - Camden, NJ
Firmware Engineer, HF Radio
- Wrote 8751 assembly language modules for frequency hopping HF radio controllers. Designed firmware to interface front panels, antenna couplers, external modems.
Rutgers University - New Brunswick, NJ
College of Engineering
- BSEE 1984, High Honors
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Eta Kappa Nu Electrical Engineering Honor Society